Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Yoga Toes

This is a post that I have been meaning to write for quite some time. In some ways, it is simply inexcusable that it has taken me so long to do so. You see, Yoga Toes are of such importance, nay, are so life-alteringly amazing, that you need to know about them. And you need to know about them now.

Now you must be asking yourself, "What exactly is a Yoga Toe?"

To that I say, "Behold!"


Now, don't let the cutesy spa-like photo fool you. Those babies have nothing to do with getting a pedicure. And while you may think those little toe separators used when getting your toes all prettied up are basically the same thing, you're sorely mistaken.

Yoga Toes are made of silicone are designed to stretch apart your toes. To get an idea, spread your fingers apart as far as they go. That is what Yoga Toes do for your feet.

Now you may be wondering why anyone would want to do that, not to mention the point of it all. To explain that, I would like to tell you about my first encounter with Yoga Toes.

I first learned about Yoga Toes a few years ago while working at a 1930s style carnival. One of the other artists in the show was a slack rope walker and if anyone knows anything about foot care, its wire/rope walkers (that stuff hurts). B went on to explain how foot care is a crucial part of your overall health, and something that most people completely ignore. That is why, she went on to explain, you see so many elderly folks who have difficulty with balance and the ability to walk.

She then made a connection that has stuck with me ever since. B explained that we are connected to the world in three ways: Our eyes perceive the world, our ears submerge us in the world, abut it's out feet that connect us, or better, ground us to the world.

How could you go on ignoring your feet after that?

She had a whole array of foot care tools like rollers and whatnot. I too have since acquired an amazing foot roller that I use before every show and right after my act. It is an amazing tool and when I don't use it for a while or use it after some serious foot abuse (say, a day in heels) I really feel the effect it has on my feet.

The one I use is on the bottom left.

But the star remains the Yoga Toes.

I admit, I bought them a bit on impulse. But I have never once looked back. No exaggeration, they have changed my life.

It used to be that when I woke up in the morning, it would take a few minutes before I could fully put my weight on my feet. It was like my arches had shortened during the night and I had to lengthen them again, very slowly, in order to stand. It was quite painful. After a few weeks of using Yoga Toes, the pain vanished and I have been pain free ever since. Only later did I realize that one of the few movements that helped my feet feel better was exactly the position that Yoga Toes hold your feet in.

But that still doesn't explain what they do. How do they work? For that, I will steal words directly from the Yoga Toes website.
  • By spreading, stretching and exercising toes.
  • Help correct and realign foot structure.
  • Strengthen and stretch foot muscles.
  • Helps improve circulation and appearance.
  • Balance the entire body and stimulate/improve posture.
Not only that, but they also help to improve or correct foot problems like hammertoes*, plantar fasciitis, crossed toes, and bunions!

All that by sticking some jelly things on your feet!

They recommend that the first time you wear them, you only keep them on for 10 minutes or so then build up your endurance. I, of course, thought that being a circus artist made me hardcore and planned on keeping them on as long as possible. Well, it turns out that my feet were in such poor shape that after 5 minutes the pain was too much and I had to take them off! At least I knew they were working.

Now, I take them everywhere. I don't wear them as much as I should, but on the days I know I'm going to need them, it's good to know they're there. They are a bit pricey, but they're worth it. The good news is they do go on sale somewhat regularly. I purchased my pair during a four day sale when they were 50% off, and had the good fortune of finding the pair I bought for my sister on clearance, also at 50%.

So if you're looking to pamper yourself or have tried in vain to relieve foot and leg pain due to your profession (be it circus or something that finds you on your feet quite a lot), might I recommend investing in a pair? I promise you won't be disappointed.



* Hammertoes, by the way, are somewhat terrifying. I do no recommend you Google it.

No comments:

Post a Comment