Monday, April 22, 2013

As Old As You Feel

You're only as old as you feel! Age is only a number! How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?

I've heard all these things before, and I'm sure you have as well. And I try to keep them in mind, I really do. But there are some days were I really do feel old. Okay, maybe not old. But definitely older. Or perhaps just not as young as my fellow artists.

While most of my counterparts on stage are in their early twenties, I'll be turning thirty in the fall. With my last company I was easily one of the youngest and with most of my colleagues there was an age difference of ten to twenty years. But I never really felt the difference. Here a mere six years feels like a full generation.

I know I'm a very different person now than when I was 23. And I certainly have different wants and needs. But holy crap, sometimes it feels like I'm in kindergarten. During one rehearsal before the premiere, one of the artists literally bent over, turned his butt to us, started smacking it and yelled out "I need attention!"

I don't know if he was serious or not, but you would think someone would have sense enough to know that if it was a joke, it was neither the time or the place.

As time goes by, I find myself spending more and more time with the workers, and less and less with the artists. Funny how it always tends to work out that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment