Thursday, July 25, 2013

From Russia with Love

One night after a show, a man came up to me speaking a language I didn’t understand. Seeing as my German is pretty weak, this is not surprising. Only this man wasn’t speaking German, he was speaking Russian.

Naturally, the first thing he asked me was if I was Russian.

I swear, they always know… “Niet Ruski, my family… Ukrainski.”

After a nod of understanding he took my both my hands in his and kissed them. Then he kissed his own hands in a gesture that is universally understood to mean “magnificent”. He went on trying to express a few more things but then simply settled on taking my hands again, offering a small bow, and then kissing them one last time.

Needless to say, I was a little overwhelmed. I don’t think I’ve ever had anyone bow to me and kiss my hands before.

I guess he liked my act.

No comments:

Post a Comment