Sunday, February 21, 2010

Nearing the Finish/Starting Line

And so, my marathon week of training is coming to a close. I admit, I punked out on a couple of hours because four hours total on public transit was just too painful for an hour of training. But all told, this week has been a success.

After two days, my body remembered to ignore the bruising. The backs of my knees may be burned and a little bloody, but at least now I can head across the pond knowing that the flying line and I are on good terms.

Most reassuring of all is that I'm no longer afraid of that first run through in Blagnac. After the last month+ break, I couldn't even get through half my act. True, I hadn't trained due to the California fiasco, and my back was trying to kill me, but still. This time around, I not only have some serious pre-tour training to lean on, I also have a run through under my belt.

Circus is a funny beast. Learning new tricks is fun. Creating a new act is fun. Performing is fun. Running through an established number, however, can be like pulling teeth.

Fortunately, there were some folks in the studio today, including some German wheel folk and about-to-audition-for-circus-school folk, so I felt an encouraging push to perform. Normally, the presence of people would have the opposite effect on me. Maybe I'm growing a bit as an artist...

Of course, a run through on its own isn't that terribly exciting. A lot can go wrong after not running for a month and a half. And between you and me, I'm pretty shocked that I did all my tricks, finished with the music, and wasn't all that out of breath!

This section of the tour has some pretty big moments waiting for me. We'll be playing the circus' home town and I have some pretty exciting wheel opportunities scheduled. The last town we played was a warm-up. Now it's time for 2010 to truly begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment