Friday, April 6, 2012

Amaluna - A Little Bit of Background

I wanted to post this yesterday with the other Amaluna posts, but between taking advantage of my last day in Copenhagen and getting ready for the voyage to Berlin, I didn't have the chance.

The following is an interview with Amaluna director Diane Paulus. I like how she says that the idea behind this female-centric show wasn't so much about women's issues as it is about showcasing strong female characters and a matriarchal society. By doing that, I think, you still ultimately touch upon women's issues, but in a way that isn't preachy or pedagogical.

Also, I love how the hoop artist character of Prospera is portrayed by an older acrobat, and that the women you see in this video all look so strong and powerful.

But enough about what I think. See for yourself!


UPDATE - From the Montreal Gazette:

"The upcoming Cirque du Soleil production Amaluna will be a love story inspired by Greek mythology, Amazonian warrior women and Shakespeare, featuring 70 per cent female performers.

The story, modelled after Shakespeare's final play, The Tempest, tracks the romance between a shaman queen's daughter and a prince, on a remote island called Amaluna. Paulus, who has been working on the show for two years, said it will be an 'homage to women.' "

No comments:

Post a Comment