Wednesday, April 25, 2012

iD - The Circus Goes to the City

During my last stay in Paris I had the good fortune to see Cirque Eloize's latest show, iD. It's difficult to know where to start with a show like iD. Following Nomade, Rain, and Nebbia, iD really does come as kind of a slap in the face. And I mean that in a good way.


I had come to expect a certain esthetic from Eloize, especially after the aforementioned shows. Seeing as the last three shows are considered a trilogy (the Sky Trilogy), it comes as a bit of a shock to see something so different. But I must say, I have nothing but respect for Eloize when it comes to iD. While the overall Universe of the show may not be my up of tea (more on that in a moment), the fact that Eloize dared to do something so radically different from a formula that has proven to be quite profitable, seems almost unheard of. I can think of a number of companies, the one I work for included, that seem to simply repackage the same show time and time again. It was a risk, and I applaud them for taking it. That being said, I didn't really care for the show. Not because it was bad, it just wasn't really to my taste.

iD is a very urban show. The decor is quite basic and elaborate lighting projections are used to create the different environments. The effect is really cool, though sometimes a little over the top. During the juggling act, for example, many bouncing balls are projected on to the decor and it's a little too much to take in. And I really do question the choice of having the weird voyage through space during the cyr wheel act.


The pacing is great and the audience is never bored. Like most Eloize shows that I've seen, there is an impressive amount of circus. Yes, the story is a bit thin, but the show still manages to create an emotional connection with the audience. And frankly, sometimes it's just really good to see a circus show where the focus is on circus and not artistic bits of fluff.

While I may not have cared for the overall feel of the show, there are many, many great moments. The relationship between the contortionist and the B-boy, the straps act that plays like a street fight between an aerialist and an acrobat, and the duet of tissu and rollerblader come to mind. And it was great to see some disciplines that don't get much attention, like BMX.



There were some parts that were hard to buy into. The artists in the show aren't all that credible as being 'street', not that I could do any better. There were a few acts that were a bit on the weak side (hoop, cyr wheel), and considering how important a role hip-hop dance plays in the show, I was surprised by how sloppy the dancing was. It didn't hit hard enough for me and seemed a little tired. Which may well have been the case.

The show did leave me with a few questions. There are some characters that simply disappear for extended periods of time. The hand to hand porter was in the first number of the show and didn't reappear until after intermission! And I really would have liked to see more women on stage. I don't recall exactly as I saw the show a month ago, but I think it was something like four women and ten men. Where did these people go? Why aren't there more women?

Finally, no review of this show would be complete without mention of the trampo-wall act. Hot. Damn. It is worth seeing this show simply for that number.

There's the main wall, two walls on either side, a middle wall that crosses the trampoline mid-way through the act, plus platforms that appear and disappear throughout. The act is fast paced and fun, impressive, and just plain dazzling.


iD may not be my favourite show, but if urban is more your style than poetic nostalgia, or if you want to see something a little different, then I'd definitely recommend seeing this show.

No comments:

Post a Comment