Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Happy Belated Birthday, Fingers!

April 30th marked the 10 year anniversary of esteemed Montreal circus company les 7 doigts de la main! It was also the 200th performance of their show Traces!

les 7 doigts de la main is a company that has deeply influenced me as an artist and holds an incredibly special place in my heart. I first saw their show Loft as a wet behind the ears circus student. I'm not sure I had even been doing circus for a month at that point and the only circus I had ever seen was Cirque du Soleil.

les 7 doigts de la main turned my every notion about circus completely on its head. Which, all things considered, is probably how it should be. My immediate reaction upon seeing 7 doigts was "F*** Cirque du Soleil, this is what circus can be!"

I had no idea that circus could be so... human. Or that such poetry and magic could be found without insanely elaborate costumes and otherworldly make-up. I had no idea that tricks could make you feel more than just the awe of having witnessed an acrobatic feat, but that tricks could make you laugh, and even cry.

To me, they were circus gods. Gods made all the more godly because they were totally accessible. And by that I mean you could very easily just go up and talk to them. And the impression I have always had is that if they could, they would take every aspiring circus artist under their wings.

les 7 doigts de la main is the kind of company that comes around once in a generation. And let me tell you, it feels pretty amazing to say "I was there when..."

So hat's off to you, 7 doigts, and here's to another phenomenal 10 years!

Promo video for the original Loft

No comments:

Post a Comment