Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Unravelling

It is finally, really, truly and officially the end of the shows. There will be no extra dates squeezed in. It’s a run of three weekends, and then goodnight. I’m not terribly surprised by the tough market for ticket sales. We were here a couple of years ago plus the just completed run in November. Now, with Christmas approaching, everyone is in town. Soleil, 7 Fingers, C!RCA, and a slew of others. Not to mention that the big white tent 20m away from us is having shows on the same dates at pretty much the same time as us... oops.

With this company, it would seem that the traditional way to end a tour is to have everything go to shit. With the previous show, three acts were missing in the final performances, and one of the musicians had completely thrown out his back and had to play while seated in the wings. This show seems to be following suit.

Upon arrival, A announced that he had hurt his back. We hemmed and hawed about whether or not he would cut anything, but A has always been stubborn about these kinds of things. It went from not doing his straps act, to simply cutting two figures from his acro solo.

The next night, however, I got off stage after my own number to find A waiting for me.

“I’m not doing my straps act tonight. Or trampo-wall.”

Being the clever folks that we are, we didn’t bother to come up with a plan should A decide mid-way through a show that he was too injured to continue. This led to much running around backstage trying to figure out to do technical cues without and transitions with bits of the show missing, as well as the horrible task of completely restructuring the trampo-wall act. It’s bad enough figuring all that stuff out during a meeting. It’s way harder when people are running on an off stage, and back and forth trying to execute their backstage cues.

Meanwhile, on stage, A, D, and myself performed a spectacular three body pile up that would have made the Stooges proud. I’m still not entirely sure what happened, but D fell over me, and then rammed into A, at which point he landed in my line of fire, and I hit him. Flailing and laughing, we finally managed to get into position. I’m sure the sound and lighting guys enjoyed the scene from the booth.

A is going for an MRI this week as it looks like it might be something with one of his disks. I just hope that L’s prediction that everything will “part en couilles” doesn’t go beyond the disaster that was Sunday’s show.

No comments:

Post a Comment