Saturday, July 2, 2011

Return of the Oatmeal Wagon

 For those who have been following my adventures for a while, you may recall that about a year ago the circus decided to stop bringing its caravans on tour. It was decided that it would be cheaper to just rent caravans on site. Well, apparently that proved to be wrong because not only have the circus caravans returned, the circus just purchased three new ones! And by new, I mean the ginormous luxury type.

The caravans returned in Dijon and I arrived three or four days before everyone else did. I could have easily chosen one of the giant new caravans and given up the bonny wee oatmeal wagon. Especially since there are three new people in the troupe and they would have been none the wiser. Plus I have seniority and blah blah blah… But this caravan is as close to home as I’ve ever known at the circus. I know how it works and how I like to have everything set up. Plus, there’s a working fridge! Besides, if I had a bigger caravan, I’d just make a bigger mess. Not to mention it’s damn near impossible to properly heat the big ones.

Ah, oatmeal wagon. How I missed you. It turns out I made the right choice. The most luxurious of the new caravans has no running water! Admittedly, the oatmeal wagon doesn’t attach directly to a water source, but I do have a jug with a pump. It lasts me about a week and while this may just be me trying to make the best of a less than perfect situation, I like having little tasks like that as a part of everyday life. It makes me feel like I’m really living the circus life. After all, in the glory days of American circus, artists each got two buckets of water a day for all their water needs.

The best part, of course, is that when it comes time to pack up, I can leave as much as I'd like in my caravan. Now she's all packed up for the summer, but it's nice to know that come October, I'll have my home away from home waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment