Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Kickin' It Off

Tomorrow will be the big kick-off of the second edition of the Montreal Completement Cirque international circus festival! This year, festival-goers will be able to visit the MCC Caravan at place Émilie-Gamelin located in the Quartier des spectacles.

 I strongly suspect it will not look like this.

The message given by MCC is to join them at 18h15 and that there will be a parade to launch the festival starting at 18h. Clearly there's something a little off there, so I would say be there for 18h.

Show-wise, the festival doesn't start until the 7th. First up on the showbill are Cirque Carpe Diem (free), one man show Patinoire by 7 fingers co-founder Patrick Leonard, Cirque du Soeil's Totem and C!RCA's Wunderkammer.

I'm not familiar with Cirque Carpe Diem, but with a price tag of $0 and a run that sees the full length of the festival, there's really no excuse not to see them.

I'm very excited about Patinoire. Pat is a wonderful and extremely (maybe even mindbogglingly so) versatile artist. He's funny, clever, and a man with great soul. Moreover, one of my favourite directors, Nicolas Cantin, collaborated on the project with him. The show only runs until the 16th so don't wait too long to get your ticket!

C!RCA, as you may recall, was here for CINARS in December. Based on what I saw then, I would definitely say the show is a good bet. I'd be very curious to see how things have evolved in the last 7 months. My main issue with the show was an inability to connect with the artists on stage and the transmission of emotion. Technically they were excellent and, something I always appreciate, the women were showcased in strength. Definitely worth a look! They too are only here until the 16th, so there's only so much time to hem and haw about whether or not you want to see it.

And then there's Totem...

Frankly, I am deeply disappointed that this show is even in the festival. I'm sure it looks good for the festival to have a Cirque du Soleil show, but I should think that a company that has over 20 shows in production could have at least committed a different show from last year. That's right, the same Cirque du Soleil show that was part of the festival last year is back again this summer.

BOO!

Seriously, Soleil. And MCC for that matter. That's super lame. And considering that there are so many up-and-coming companies that could have benefited from the exposure at this festival, and that there are so many incredible foreign companies that we never get to see in North America, I think the money and the public would have been better served by something else. Plus, you could probably see at least three other shows in the festival for what it would cost you to see Totem.

Just sayin'...

No comments:

Post a Comment