Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Circus as Sport

I've seen videos of Indian pole gymnastics, but never Indian rope gymnastics. I've got to say, I find it pretty fascinating. In circus, I typically like rope. But this isn't anything like the rope acts I'm used to seeing. My initial thoughts consisted mostly of "Their legs are bare! Their legs are bare! How are they not burnt and bleeding? Dear lord, that must hurt like crazy!"

Then I started to pay attention to what they were doing.

I'm not too keen on the whole "do everything as fast as humanly possible" method, and some of the elements that can only be compulsories (I'm looking at you, pike position) seem unnecessary, but there is some neat stuff in this sport! I love that they have dismounts, and the drops to single knee hang where they aren't so much locked in as holding on with their toes is nothing short of awesome.

Having competed at the German wheel world championships and also having completed coaching certification for wheel, I would be very curious to know what the rules and required elements are for this sport.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment