Monday, July 16, 2012

And That's a Wrap for MCC 2012!

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is that for the festival Montreal Completement Cirque for 2012! As much as I love the circus festival, I'm glad it's over. It's amazing just how exhausting it is to run around the city seeing shows, catching up with old friends, and training your butt off.

Overall, I was a little disappointed with the festival this year. Of the nine shows I saw, I only really liked four of them. The passport was frustrating and kind of a hassle, and definitely needs to be retooled for next year. And the scheduling was kind of a mess. Many shows had incredibly short runs and all of the show times seemed to be about the same. It seemed like a lot of shows had to compete against one another for a public. And why on Earth were there no matinees on the second Saturday?

I was very happy to see Scandinavian circus get so much attention, and in my opinion, they were the toast of the festival (I'm looking at you Petit Mal and Undermän). I have some thoughts on Canadian circus right now too, but I feel like that's going to need a post all its own.

A part of the aftermath...

The festival is still young and continues to evolve every year. While this year may not have been my favourite, it's great to see that the organizers continue to shake things up, allow things to grow, and really make an effort to get the community (both circus and non) involved. Here's hoping that they take a look at what worked and what didn't work this year, and that next year's edition continues to prove that Montreal truly is a world capital of circus arts!

No comments:

Post a Comment