Monday, July 9, 2012

MCC 2012 - Amaluna

It took three months, but I finally made it to Amaluna. I haven't seen a Cirque du Soleil show since Corteo premiered in 2005 and let me say, I'm glad I ended the drought with this show.


 Cirque du Soleil at the old port of Montreal

It amazes me that I find it very hard to comment on a Cirque du Soleil show. Having worked professionally for the last six years, having seen many shows, and basically having a better understanding of the milieu, I find that my perspective has completely changed. When I saw Cirque du Soleil for the first time 20 years ago it was a moment of absolute wonder. It really was like stepping into a magical world the likes of which I had never seen or imagined. Now when I see anything Cirque du Soleil, I immediately recognize it as a brand. You expect it to look and sound a certain way, and it does. I don't want to say that the magic is gone for me, but the tent seemed smaller and all the artists seemed remarkably human.

And yet...

It took me a while to enter into the world they were proposing, but enter it I did. I think it helped that I was familiar with the story going in. Knowing exactly what the director had intended made the show very clear and easy to follow.

Interestingly, none of the acts really stand out. Of course I had my favourites (chinese pole, unicycle, high bar) and there were some pleasant surprises (meteor icarian games hybrid, bone balancing), but unlike other shows that have one or two really stand out acts, Amaluna seemed to consist of numbers that were a part of a whole.

 I talked a lot about Amaluna when it first premiered, particularly about how it is a show that focuses on women and femininity. There's always the risk of such themes quickly becoming cliche, preachy, or pedagogical. But Amaluna truly does succeed in showing many aspects of femininity from a place of strength and elegance. It was so wonderful to see such strong female characters on stage, not to mention such a variety of body types and personalities.

The main character of Prospera is inspiring. I can think of no way of saying this without sounding rude, so I'll just mention that that is in no way my intention... This artist is clearly a little older than the average cast member, but she is all the more radiant for it. It's so nice to see a more mature artist on stage and all that that maturity brings. Plus, she sings during her hoop act. I mean... come on.

 Triple threat

I absolutely adored the centaur women and their high bar act. These women are clearly warriors. And when the men arrive in the show, swept in by a storm, the women hold their own and leave the men scampering away in fear. I know a lot of people aren't too keen on high bar acts, but as an ex-gymnast, I love them. I would have liked to see a little more technique, but I think I'm just being picky. What they did was amazing. Plus, they totally do some old school wraps on the bars, which I love, love, loved!

 Here come the....boys? Oh dear...

 Centaur women on high bar

But there's also softness in the show. The bone balancing act is best described as monumental stillness. It's a truly captivating moment in the show that brings many images to mind. You can't help but think of Adam and Eve, only this time, Eve is building her own world from ribs. Or perhaps you focus on how fragile life is, or better still, how the tiniest piece of the puzzle is just as important as every other piece, if not more.

 Bone balancing

There were some weak moments as well, I'm afraid. I really didn't care for the white peacock character. This dancer may have her own solo but frankly, I wasn't at all impressed by her. I feel there are far more skilled dancers out there. No to mention far more exciting circus. The closing number is also pretty weak. Not because it's bad, it's just that for a finale, there isn't much to it. Three women do straps, only there's very little straps involved, just a whole lot of swinging back and forth. It's clear that only one of the three was actually trained in straps. Plus, there's a duo straps act in the beginning so it seems a little repetitive. And the clowns... the clown act in that show is by far the most messed up thing I have ever seen. It mostly involves pregnancy, multiple births, and football babies.

What did I just watch?

The show still has a lot of growing to do, but that goes for any new show. I think that once it really finds its legs and has time to evolve, it will be a really great show in the same sphere as classic shows like Quidam. I'm so happy that Soleil decided to have a women centric show, but more than anything, I am so impressed by how well the subject was treated. I mean, yes, they do still fall into some kind of love story, and everyone does seem their man in the end. But I think the idea wasn't so much that a woman needs a man as it was that men and women are a compliment to one another, and it's by creating that kind of relationship that we continue to evolve. But then, it's also just a circus show and maybe we all just like a happy ending...

Congratulations to all the cast and crew of Amaluna!

Hear us roar!

No comments:

Post a Comment