Wednesday, July 11, 2012

MCC 2012 - La Cuisine de Pan

What to say about La Cuisine de Pan? The most obvious answer is that this is not a circus show. La Cuisine de Pan is a dance show with a bit of Chinese pole integrated into it, and a little bit of acro from time to time as well.

But a circus show?

No.

I had to wonder what a show like this was doing in a circus festival. Fortunately, there was a Q & A after the show and a rep from the festival mentioned that one of the goals at the festival is to showcase how circus integrates into other art forms as well. Oddly enough, once I heard that, I seemed to warm up to the show a little more. Weird, right?


I would very much like to somehow offer feedback on this show, but the truth is, dance shows don't really do it for me. And considering I have no experience in the field, I don't really feel like it's my place to comment.

However, I can say that unlike most dance shows I've seen, I didn't feel bored and wish I could leave. In fact, there were a number of moments that I thought were really great. They did a wonderful job incorporating theatre and story into their work and I really felt like there was some kind of evolution over the course of the show.

That being said, I think it's something I could have skipped. It's not really my cup of tea, though I would be curious to know a dancer's thoughts on the performance. Frankly, I'd rather the festival have the goal of showcasing the best circus out there. Keyword being circus. Maybe flip the goal around so that it's about how the circus arts incorporate other art forms into their shows rather than how other art forms hang a tissu and suddenly promote themselves as circus. Not to say that La Cuisine de Pan did anything remotely like that (they didn't). They'd be the first to tell you that they were quite surprised to find themselves invited to a circus festival.

If you like dance, particularly hip hop, this might just be a show you want to check out. If not, then I'd say shop around for something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment