Sunday, July 8, 2012

MCC 2012 - La Soirée

I first saw La Soirée six years ago. At that time it was still known as La Clique, and it was it's first time playing in Montreal. Since then, I've somehow managed to see it every three years. Having already seen it twice before, I'd pretty much written off La Soirée as a show I could see if I had time, but it was no big deal if I missed it.

On my way back from the disappointing evening that was LEO I ran into a friend of mine who convinced me that, even though it was starting in 10 minutes and I would have to run home for my festival passport and then come back, I should see La Soirée this very night! I'm staying quite close to the Olympia and didn't really want to end my evening on such a sour note, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I don't know that I've ever been so grateful for the inability of live shows to start on time.

As for giving La Soirée a pass, I don't know what I was thinking.

Holy moly, I love that show! Do you like really good circus and burlesque? Do you like to laugh? Do you like your humour a little blue? Then what are you doing at home instead of at the Olympia watching La Soirée?

I admit, I was a a little curious to see how the show would be without two of its fixtures (Miss Behave, and Captain Frodo). I even thought (wrongly) that it wouldn't be as good. But the masterminds of La Soirée seem to have a special stock of hilarious, talented, sexy artists and this version was every bit as wonderful as the two versions I've seen before (though I did still really miss Frodo).

Familiar stand outs include Denis Lock and Hamish McCann as the English Gents, and the always titilating Ursula Martinez. New to me this time around and easily capturing my heart, Le Gateau Chocolat. I never thought I would hear a saucy version of Nessun Dorma. But here we are. And I must make special note of the talented Mooky. I had only ever seen her in Varekai and I must admit, I hated what I saw. But to see the actual Mooky and not a Cirque-du-Soleil-approved Mooky turned out the be a wonderfully hilarious gift!

 Denis Lock and Hamish McCann

Ursula Martinez

 Le Gateau Chocolat

 Mooky

I also feel the need to mention that while Nate Cooper is described as follows: "Try to imagine Charlie Chaplin tap dancing on roller skates whilst juggling razor sharp machetes and you will only be scratchig the surface of what Cooper has in store for you.", that right there doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of what Cooper has in store. His act was probably one of the weirdest things I have ever seen in my entire life.

All that to say that if you're in Montreal right now, or will be in the next week, get your butt over to the Olympia for a night of debauchery and laughter the likes of which you've never seen!

La Soirée is an absolute must see and runs until Sunday July 15th (dark on Monday), 18 years +. Times vary, so check the MCC website for more details!

No comments:

Post a Comment