Thursday, June 10, 2010

Dieses ist härter als i-Gedanke!

I've talked a lot about how much I love Germany, but I did have an ulterior motive for going. One of my goals while working for my circus was to take advantage of being in Europe, specifically my proximity to Germany, and get my coaching certification for German wheel. Well, after a year on tour it was time to stop thinking about it and actually go out and do it.

I'm very fortunate to have some great contacts in the athletic community of German wheel. As such, even though I missed the official training camps, they had no problem with me coming in when I was available. The three weeks off between Besançon and Elbeuf seemed the perfect time. So, after my sejour in Berlin, I set out to Taunusstein to get whipped into coaching shape!

And get whipped into shape I would.

Coaching German wheel is hard. Really hard. Especially when the kids you're working with use wheels bigger than your own. I'm a little lady. There were many instances where I couldn't really do what was required of me because I just couldn't reach!

And spirals... dear Lord, spotting spirals is hard. There were days where I would come home so discouraged and I thought I'd never be able to get it right. I told myself that at least things would go better with straight lines.

But no! Not being able to reach is one thing. Imagine, then, spotting the wheel with one hand, the gymnast with the other and then trying to give the wheel the necessary momentum to keep going by pushing it with your foot! All at the same time!

Again, there were nights where I came home terribly discouraged.

But I persevered.

And I can never thank the girls I worked with enough. So patient. Not only could I not really help them in way of correction (when spotting spirals I was way too busy with the wheel to see their bodies), but often times I prevented them from doing the move properly. But they told me what I did wrong and slowly, I learned.

By the end of the week, I was coaching like a champ. True, I still have a ways to go until I become as skilled as those working at the club. But then, I don't have the experience of 15+ years as an athlete behind me to lean on.

I spent a solid 25 hours in the gym plus at least another 15 spent strictly on studying the theory, history, and rules of the sport. By the end of the week, I thought my head would explode.

And now, I can proudly say that I am a bonafide rhoenrad coach as certified by the IRV!

So... who wants to learn?

1 comment: