Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Zzt!

It was uncharacteristically cold when I woke up that morning. Right away, I knew something was wrong. But it wasn’t one of those things where you think “uh oh...” No. Not here on Circus Island. It was definitely more of a “not again...”

The power had gone out. This happens somewhat often. There is a lot of construction being done and sometimes they need to shut the power off. Usually it’s off for about an hour. So I trudged off to the kitchen to make tea on one of the gas burners and waited.

And waited.

And waited...

I should probably mention that it was Thanksgiving Day and I had some serious cooking to do. I had squash and chestnuts to roast, cookies and garlic knots to bake, and of course, the turkey. It would have been fine if the gas oven was working, but naturally it wasn’t. It was electric or nothing. So... nothing.

When I called the site director to find out what was going on, I was told that that morning, the cables that supply electricity to the island had been backed over by a truck and were sliced in two.

I wish I could say that surprised me.

Seriously, Circus Island. Get it together.

I was told the power would be back on by the end of the morning. It came back on at quarter to five, and then promptly went back out again. By five it was on for good and Thanksgiving was saved!

It’s always an adventure on Circus Island...

No comments:

Post a Comment