Friday, April 10, 2009

Its Official!

Remember how I mentioned that I may be getting another taste of German wheel goodness in the not too distant future? Well I can now confirm that that German wheel goodness will be a reality!

Ladies and gentlemen, you're looking at (or rather, reading the words of) the first Canadian ever to be competing at the German Wheel World Championships!

I know what you're thinking, "World championships? Of German wheel? That exists?"

The answer is yes. Before it was a circus discipline, it was (and is) a sport. And the people who do it are bad ass. So how does a random Canadian fit in to all of this? One would imagine that to qualify for Worlds, an athlete would have to, I don't know, go to some qualifying meets first. And normally that would be true. But Canada has no wheel federation, and certainly no qualifying events. Fortunately, I have the recommendation of an eight time World Champion and undisputed god of German wheel. That and I wrote to the head honcho of the competition, sent in some videos of my work, and after being evaluated for my skill level, was awarded a place at the meet.

While I was told I could compete in all three events (straight lines, spirals, vaulting) I have chosen to only compete in straight lines. Its the event I most excel at, but more than anything, I don't have time to create three routines for the competition. The show is my number one priority. Really, I just want to go for the experience and to have fun. And to wear a leotard (velour and glitter, aw yeah). After all, I may be good, but by no means am I in any position to win anything.

But who cares about that? I'm going to the World Championships of something! And as my brother said, that kind of makes me Canadian National Champion by default. Woo!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Canadian National German Wheel Champion,

    Woot woot!


    love,
    h

    ReplyDelete