Sunday, December 27, 2009

Opera Garnier

A few weeks ago I mentioned that I would be performing at the Opera Garnier. Well, the moment of performance has come and gone and all I can say is "wow!"

We arrived at the opera at an hour I would normally still be sleeping. This would be our only chance to run through our act on the real stage. This was of the utmost importance as the stage is at 5 degree angle. Not really the best thing for a German wheel. I was a little worried, and the wheel did have a tendency to head towards the abyss that was the orchestra pit, but that just meant stepping out of the wheel for a moment to readjust. No biggie.

We, Les Rouetabagas (don't ask), had our own dressing room, complete with piano. You never know. We were treated to lunch and even got special ID cards that, for some reason, were marked Prime Minister.



Our portion of the show went off brilliantly. Unfortunately, because of the lighting, we couldn't see the audience during the performance, but I swear photographers were clicking away non-stop! And if I may say so, H was absolutely amazing. There was a bit of a technical issue at the end and he was left alone on stage much longer than was planned for. He improvised like a champ and held the room in his hand. I was thoroughly impressed.

The whole thing happened so fast. And for some strange reason, I had the feeling that we weren't done. On the way back to the circus, and after the show that night, I was convinced we still had to do the show. Perhaps it was simply that I've known since September that we were going to perform there and I just couldn't take in that it had finally happened.

I have to admit, as far as gigs go, this is easily the least demanding one I have ever done. I did a couple of minutes of wheel and spent less than eight minutes on stage. I don't even think we rehearsed more than five hours total. The first time I ran through my portion of the act was at the opera the morning of the show.

And yet...

Being able to say that I performed at the Opera Garnier in Paris was truly an honour. For me, its the kind of event that is up there with my Olympic performance in 2006. The crazy and amazing places I end up with the circus never ceases to amaze me .

No comments:

Post a Comment