Monday, December 14, 2009

Wait... What?

A rather curious article was sent to the troupe this morning. Well, not so much an article as a blog entry from some random corner of the internet. While the author has positive things to say about the show, that's not at all what she's interested in. Moreover, while I think what she has to say is meant to be quite positive, I'm personally not too sure how to take it.

Here's an excerpt (translated by yours truly):

"And so, looking at this heterogeneous troupe, we see different costumes ranging from total nudity to more or less becoming attire, I had the reflection that almost none of them had a body like we see in magazines or television: they were short, quite tall, some had a small pot belly, others had slightly saggy bottoms, were flat chested, and yet they showed what they could do with these non-ideal bodies without hesitation."

I can think of more than one person in the troupe that may develop a slight image complex from this article. I know that the author, a nutritional psychologist, is trying to point out that even professional circus artists and musicians don't have what is considered the perfect body, and yet look at the beautiful and poetic things they can do! The body is an instrument to create a story, not an end in itself...

That's all well and good, but she's not the one that has to parade her imperfect body on stage. I don't think I ever mentioned it before, but I was initially quite uncomfortable in my wheel costume. I was excited that it was red and a little bit sexy, but I when I was being fitted, it was often in the tent, with everyone else around. The cat calls and remarks about the top left me feeling rather uncomfortable, and seeing as I don't even wear shorts in real life, wearing tiny shorts on stage wasn't a very enjoyable prospect.

But I got used to my costume and all was well. Now I'll be worrying about my ginormous shoulders, pasty legs, and muscular thighs... Thanks nutritional psychologist lady! Way to show some sensitivity!

Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment