Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Premiere

Sometimes, you just can't find the appropriate word. The best you can do is utter something lame like "wow", and that's if you can manage more than some barely audible mumbling. The premiere of this show was like that for me. It was intense, humbling, ecstatic, moving, and a huge relief.

This circus is amazing. Their attention to detail and the pride they take in providing a magical experience for the audience is a sight to behold. And I think just as much attention was paid to the artists on opening night, though perhaps in a different way. The love and support from the workers was and remains tangible. We were left flowers and cards from the company directors and workers, as well as a special notes and candy from the show directors and costume ladies. At the end of the night, during the curtain call, we were showered with flowers given to the audience before the show. When the moment came, it felt like the shower of flowers would never end. I thought  I was going to cry.

 

And the applause... my goodness the applause! I remember thinking when I left my last company that I would never hear applause like that again. But the night of the premiere beat any ovation I have ever received in a show. And not just at the finale! The reaction after my act was nothing short of epic. I think part of it had to do with the fact that the I'm performing in the round (the last tour was proscenium style), and suddenly the applause was in surround sound. But when I wanted to leave the stage, I found that I couldn't! The applause was so loud and so long... the public wouldn't let me leave right away. I walked off that stage on air.

And after the applause, the bows, and the rounds of thanks, the circus invited the entire audience to free drinks, cold cuts, cheese, and crudités.



But our celebrations were cut short, what with two shows the next day. You would think that after all that work, you could take a small moment to catch your breath. But this is traditional circus, and there are no days off.

No comments:

Post a Comment