Saturday, February 2, 2013

New Beginning

This is nothing like I expected. I have many friends who have worked here in the past and I wrote to just about all of them for advice on what to bring, what to expect, and a million other questions in between. But even with all their guidance, I feel like I was completely unprepared. But in a good way.

This place is amazing. We’re currently at the winter quarters, and considering my old circus’ winter quarters isn’t so much a winter quarters as a storage depot, my jaw was pretty much agape for the first couple of days. The complex, as that’s really the only way to refer to it, is huge. There’s an actual rehearsal space with natural light and all manner of equipment. There is also the costume department, the workshop where they make all the repairs, build sets and props, and even do maintenance on vehicles. The conference room has group photos going back 29 years, as well as a small display case paying tribute to their founder who passed away a number of years ago.

In fact, one of the things I love about this place is that everywhere you look, there are nods to their history. Photographs of past artists and old posters cover every wall, which is particularly nice when so many people I know have performed here and are on the walls around me.

Oh, and did I mention the stables? That’s right. There are stables here as well as a ring, because this circus has six horses! They don’t go on tour anymore, but they’re still trained in dressage by the brother of the company director.

Surrounding the main building are all the caravans in neat little rows, and the many beautifully decorated roulottes that serve as offices, kitchen, and ticket counters during the season.

Being here feels magical. And I truly hope I do this place justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment